Happy Wednesday! Hope all my Sweeties out there had a wonderful Valentine’s Day!
Today I’m switching gears from papercrafts to one of my little fabric projects. After a rather long hiatus from sewing these past few months due to the holidays and CHA, I have been going through fabric withdrawals. But a few dates with my sewing machine has me good as new. And now I have a new raggedy folk art doll to share with you.
Do you ever have supplies in your stash that you love so much, you’re afraid to use? That’s exactly the case with me here. This little dolly is filled with things I’ve been hoarding…. vintage treasures, trinket treasures, and my precious stash of Tim Holtz Eclectic Elements fabric. But things tucked away into closets don’t bring much happiness. Not like a new little art dolly does.
One of my favorite parts of the doll making process is picking out which bits and bobs to use, and seeing the personality evolve from start to finish. I am just a sucker for neutrals and text-print, so this combo really speaks to me. And since I went with Tim Holtz fabric, I thought why not add some other favorites from his line, too?
As with paper, I tend to keep every little fabric scrap, and it’s a good thing I do. You never know when that little piece is going to come in handy. All the fabric I used here is from just one of the Eclectic Elements 12″ Fabric Crafting Pack. Leftovers from a previous project I made here. I’ve been working on my dressmaking skills, and love how her dress turned out. I made a ruffled skirt from the clock print, a top from the dictionary print, and legs from a typography print. Her underskirt and belt are made from remnant taffeta. I added some lace trim for a bit of color, and little pom poms for shoes. And for a perfect color match, I stained the pom poms with Distress Ink, too.
The face has been pieced from a variety of fabrics, with a bit of hand-stitching and vintage buttons for eyes. I dyed the pink fabric on her eyes and mouth with Distress Ink, and used an ink blending tool to apply a bit of soft Distress to her cheeks. The hair is from a piece of vintage velvet I’ve had for years, and the hair bow is made from vintage millinery…. treasured pieces I’ve been afraid to use, but so glad I finally did. This little dolly has truly captured a piece of my heart. So an Idea-ology (heart) typed token seemed the perfect finishing touch.
Thanks so much for stopping by, Friends! Hope you all have a wonderful day!
The supplies I’ve used are linked and/or listed below for your convenience:
Other: fabric, lace, buttons, floss, polyfill fiber stuffing