Hello Crafty Friends! Happy Friday!
I have a fun Halloween project and Sizzix tutorial to share today. It’s a spooky silly Halloween card, done in my favorite Distress style, featuring those adorable Crazy Dogs from Tim Holtz.
This little cutie spotlights lots of new goodies from Tim’s fabulous 2016 Halloween Release, as well as some classic everyday basics, too. Halloween is just over a week away, so it’s high time for some treats. And that is no trick!
Ever since Tim released his original Crazy Birds, followed up by the Crazy Cats, I’ve been hoping for some Crazy Dogs, because I am a total dog person. These images are so much fun to color, and I am so impressed with how closely to the outline the matching Sizzix dies cut. I couldn’t resist adding a Crazy Things witch hat to my little pup friend, and coloring his accessories in a Distress Halloween color palette. And what do you think of that bone? I don’t think he’s letting go of it, friends… so watch your fingers.
I just love all of Tim’s new Halloween products, and used some of my favorites here. The new Materialize Paper Stash, and new Gothic Remnant Rubs. And don’t forget that realistic Idea-ology bone. All paired with some great everyday basics, like the Wallpaper and Wood background stamps I used here, and the Stitched Rectangles Framelits dies.
I’ve got a quick Sizzix tutorial to share with you, so let’s take a closer look.
- Stamp a Crazy Dog image onto watercolor paper using Jet Black Archival Ink.
- Color the image using Distress Inks. To watercolor with Distress, simply press your ink pad onto a non-stick craft sheet, mix the ink with a bit of water, and apply the color using a wet paintbrush.
- Apply Fossilized Amber Distress Ink to a piece of watercolor cardstock using a mini ink blending tool. Cover an area that is slightly larger than the third largest Stitched Rectangle die.
- Finally, die cut your image and the rectangle using this standard die cutting sandwich for Thinlits and Framelits dies: Magnetic Platform, Standard Cutting Pad, paper, die (cutting side down), Standard Cutting Pad.
5. Ink the Wood cling stamp with Rusty Hinge Distress Ink, and spray the stamp liberally with clean water using the Distress Sprayer. Press the die cut rectangle down onto the stamp, applying pressure over the entire surface with your fingers. Set the paper aside to dry.
6. Nest the second and third largest rectangle dies, and hold them together with a piece of washi or post-it tape. Die cut the frame once from black cardstock, and once from a piece of craft foam.
Add patterned papers to a black card base that opens to the right. Round the two right corners using a corner rounder punch. Stack the black frame onto the foam frame, and nestle the wood print background into the frame. Add a stamped sentiment banner, and rub-on spider. Stamp, color, and die cut the witch’s hat to add to the dog. Add Glossy Accents to his eyes and teeth. Add clear Wink of Stella glitter pen to the hat band and collar. And finally, stitch a bone onto the dog’s collar.
Looking for more Halloween inspiration? Check out this awesome Halloween Recap on Tim Holtz’s blog, filled with lots of spooky project ideas and tutorials from some amazingly talented designers.
Happy Haunting, Friends! Hope you have a wonderful weekend.
The supplies I’ve used are linked below: