Hi everyone! Happy Tuesday! Today I have an altered project to share on the Donna Salazar blog. This month, Donna asked us to create projects with a little Halloween flair. How right up my alley! I made a fun mixed-media plaque for a bit of seasonal cheer.
Don’t you love the old glass look to this plaque? It’s actually not glass at all, but a sheet of acrylic. To get this look yourself, here’s what you’ll need to do.
1. To create the base of my altered plaque, I started with a 4×4 Clear Acrylic Cover from Zutter. Using a Clearsnap Stylus Tip, I applied Donna’s Mixed Media Inx in Black to the entire surface of the acrylic. Cover the acrylic with clear embossing powder, and heat set. Don’t worry if your acrylic starts to melt, just keep on embossing the entire sheet, and you’ll notice that the acrylic flattens right back out, much like shrink plastic.
2. Decorate your spooky background scene. I added a moon and clouds, along with a cardstock sticker sentiment. My moon was created by punching a 1 3/4″ circle from Antiquities 6×6 Square Artistic Paper. I sponge brushed the moon with Candle Glow Smooch Spritz and inked the edges with Jasmine Mixed Media Inx. The clouds were punched from a glassine bag and heat embossed with Clearsnap’s Top Boss White Embossing Powder.
3. This month, we were lucky enough to partner up with Artistic Wire, and I used their copper brown wire to free-form a tree branch shape. I started with a basic Y shape, and then added a small V to the tip top. Simply create your basic shape, and then go back over the shape, wrapping the wire along the outline as you go.
4. Adhere your wire branch to the left side of the plaque using metal glue or tacky glue.
5. Create a paper pieced owl using a die cut or template and patterned paper. I made the owl body from Donna’s Crafty Chronicle, and the wing, beak, and ears from Antiquities Artistic Paper. Use buttons as eyes. A bit of Candle Glow Smooch Spritz on the beak finishes things off.
Then simply adhere your pieced owl to the tree branch, and enjoy! Thanks so much for stopping by today. Wishing you all a fabulous day!
- DSD Antiquities 6×6 Square Artistic Paper for GCD Studios
- DSD Crafty Chronicle for GCD Studios
- DSD Mixed Media Inx for Clearsnap
- DSD Smooch Spritz for Clearsnap
- Top Boss White Embossing Powder by Clearsnap
- Stylus Tips by Clearsnap
- Artistic Wire
- 4×4 Clear Acrylic Cover by Zutter
- Authentique Cardstock Stickers
- Kraft Outlet Glassine Bag
- vintage buttons